JAVA called the Ministry of Agriculture. The questions and the answers.
Request 1: Please give them water
Answer: Now not only euthanizing them we fence livestock and inside of the fence we feed them and water them. Until local farmers feel stabilized we keep doing this. We have to fence them in order to reduce problems like car accidents.
Request 2: Please give owners of livestock the permission to feed them.
Answer: A permission will be provided from a local government. We give them to catch livestock.
Request 3: Please recognize them as pets and allow us to rescue them.
Answer: Many worry that they might be in the food markets. We cannot do in order to protect meat brand.
Request 4: Please keep them alive not using experiment.
Answer: If we have a public purpose like research we can take them outside of the zone and we can use public fund. University of Tokyo took 26 pigs but the support is limited so that after several years we have to destroy them. Minamim Souma horses become city’s possession. So they could be rescued from the zone. No one would use them experiment alive.
Request 5: Please euthanize them by taking steps so that they would not be in pain from the view of animal welfare.
Answer: We conduct the processes according to OIE. This consists of three steps: Calm them -> Anastasia -> Muscle relaxant.
(We saw photos of cows tied legs)
* These were after they died. In order to move the bodies. It is impossible to tie legs when they are alive and we will not do such a thing.
* We usually do not leave bodies but because of radiation we might have to cut off work.
* We use muscle relaxant so that it will take about 10 to 15 minutes for a cow to die.
* Each local government has different way to take care of bodies.
(Can we keep them alive in the exclusion zone?)
* Even in the exclusion zone it is possible that meat might be in a market so it is impossible.
(How about goats, sheep, and ostriches?)
* If we can make meat form them they are the same as cows.
* For ostriches there are some researchers want to use them as research.
(Does Minister of Agriculture conduct research with ostriches?)
Research is not only one. Also it is not limited to ostriches.